Graduate programs in the Department of Linguistics from The University of Iowa emphasize theory and research. Students interested in non-university careers also may take courses in applied linguistics and other fields in connection with doctoral work.
Iowa's Department of Linguistics has particular strengths in phonology, syntax, and second language acquisition (SLA).
- Linguistics majors have found work teaching English as a second language overseas.
- Unique teaching opportunities worth exploring include those with the Peace Corps and Teach For America.
- The phonology curriculum emphasizes current theoretical perspectives, including optimality theory, and the collection, description, and interpretation of novel phonological and phonetic data.
- Courses feature extensive work in data analysis and problem solving, focusing on construction and evaluation of phonological theories, particularly in light of new empirical data.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
International30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year during 36 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30612 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11665 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.