Applied Linguistics from University of Johannesburg is aimed at the specialised education and training and research needs of language practitioners such as translators, interpreters, text editors, language planners, copywriters and language teachers. Translation and interpreting are complex linguistic, cognitive and textual processes that, among other things, also entail socio-cultural mediation.
Students at Applied Linguistics from University of Johannesburg will:
- gain a balance of theoretical, practical and experiential knowledge and skills.
- succeed in the workplace,
- get an intense, stimulating, challenging and supportive experience
- Sociolinguistic Research Design
- Discourse Analysis
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Language Research.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An MA Degree in Applied Linguistics or equivalent qualification.
- Valid Passport or Identity Document.
- Sworn English Translation of documents (Documents issued in any Language other than English)
- Provide proof of a non - refundable Application Fee R200.00 (only hardcopy application)
- Provide proof of the English Proficiency where English was not used as a medium of lecturing (the University prefers the applicant to take the IELTS at an overall score of 7 and TOEFL at an average score of 105–120 for Postgraduate programmes)
International797 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 797 EUR per year during 36 months.
National1065 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1065 EUR per year during 36 months.
- National students fee per semester is R9 790,00 - R19 660,00
- International students fee per year is R14,634 – R171,158.
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.