At Philosophy from University of Johannesburg students write a thesis under supervision, on a topic selected in consultation with the Department. The topic must be in line with the expertise of the available lecturers. An article of publishable quality must be submitted with the thesis. A Doctoral conference of both the propsal and the thesis are required in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Philosophy..
Students at Philosophy from University of Johannesburg will:
- gain substantial and explicit skills components.
- succeed in the workplace,
- get an intense, stimulating, challenging and supportive experience
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practical Ethics
- Political Philosophy
- 17th and 18th Century Philosophy.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics Political Science
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Prove their knowledge of research methodology and the history of philosophy. Some of the requirements are at least 65% average for the Master’s Degree in Philosophy and the submission of written philosophical work
- Valid Passport or Identity Document.
- Sworn English Translation of documents (Documents issued in any Language other than English)
- Provide proof of a non - refundable Application Fee R200.00 (only hardcopy application)
- Provide proof of the English Proficiency where English was not used as a medium of lecturing (the University prefers the applicant to take the IELTS at an overall score of 7 and TOEFL at an average score of 105–120 for Postgraduate programmes)
International797 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 797 EUR per year during 36 months.
National1065 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1065 EUR per year during 36 months.
- National students fee per semester is R9 790,00 - R19 660,00
- International students fee per year is R14,634 – R171,158.
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.