Urban Studies from University of Johannesburg is an advanced level of study in which a candidate has to conduct independent research and produce a thesis that demonstrates a contribution to knowledge in the field. The Degree is assessed on the basis of the thesis only and the candidate has to satisfy the Department of Sociology and the Faculty of Humanities that the thesis is his or her own unaided work. Upon submission of the final thesis he or she has to give an undertaking that it has not been submitted to any other institution for examination and the granting of a qualification.
Students at Urban Studies from University of Johannesburg will:
- gain substantial and explicit skills components.
- succeed in the workplace,
- get an intense, stimulating, challenging and supportive experience
- Challenges for Metropolitan Urban Regions
- Histories and Contemporary Theories of Urban Form - Fundamentals of Urbanism
- Public Life Studies and Tools for Urban Analysis.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Area & Cultural Studies Urban Planning View 8 other PhDs in Area & Cultural Studies in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To be admitted for studies at this level a student must be in possession of a Master’s Degree in Sociology, Industrial Sociology, or Urban Studies, or an equivalent qualification approved by the Faculty of Humanities.
- Valid Passport or Identity Document.
- Sworn English Translation of documents (Documents issued in any Language other than English)
- Provide proof of a non - refundable Application Fee R200.00 (only hardcopy application)
- Provide proof of the English Proficiency where English was not used as a medium of lecturing (the University prefers the applicant to take the IELTS at an overall score of 7 and TOEFL at an average score of 105–120 for Postgraduate programmes)
International797 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 797 EUR per year during 36 months.
National1065 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1065 EUR per year during 36 months.
- National students fee per semester is R9 790,00 - R19 660,00
- International students fee per year is R14,634 – R171,158.
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.