Biotechnology from University of Johannesburg teaches you about the manipulation of living cells or its enzymes for the benefit of mankind. It involves the microbiology, biochemistry, fermentation and genetics that are associated with these processes.
Doctoral studies consist of an original research project to be submitted in the form of a thesis at the end of the study period.
CareersCareer opportunities are found in a variety of industries, including food production companies, pharmaceutical industries, cosmetic industries, mining, and water purification industries.
- Capillary Electrophoresis in Laboratory Diagnostics
- Epigenetics - Non-Genetic Inheritance and Its Medical Aspects
- Molecular Basis of Microbial Pathogenesis
- Signal Transduction.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Biochemistry View 3 other PhDs in Biochemistry in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Master’s Degree in relevant field
- Valid Passport or Identity Document.
- Sworn English Translation of documents (Documents issued in any Language other than English)
- Provide proof of a non - refundable Application Fee R200.00 (only hardcopy application)
- Provide proof of the English Proficiency where English was not used as a medium of lecturing (the University prefers the applicant to take the IELTS at an overall score of 7 and TOEFL at an average score of 105–120 for Postgraduate programmes)
International797 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 797 EUR per year during 24 months.
National1065 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1065 EUR per year during 24 months.
- National students fee per semester is R 9 790,00 - R19 660,00
- International students fee per year is R14,634 – R171,158.
Living costs for Johannesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.