The Department of Ocean Sciences (OCE) seeks to advance knowledge and understanding of physical, chemical and biological processes in the oceans.
We train Ocean Sciences - Ocean Dynamics Track graduate students and young scientists, at University of Miami, to be leaders in ocean-science-related fields. With distinct strengths in ocean dynamics, air-sea interactions and remote sensing, ocean biogeochemical cycles, biophysical interactions and coastal processes, we strive to achieve excellence in research and education.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Proof of Fundamental Knowledge: Students will demonstrate a broad understanding of fundamentals of ocean science and an awareness of how scientific research in their topical areas relate to current societal issues.
- Capability to Explain and Defend Own Work: Students will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of their field of work and the ability to explain their work and defend their results in oral and written communication in a way adequate for a continuing academic career and for employment as a highly qualified research scientist or equivalent professional level scientist.
- Capability to Give Short Presentations: Students will demonstrate the ability to explain their work and defend their key results in a short oral presentation in a competitive environment similar to a session at a scientific conference or a professional project meeting.
- Ocean Biogeochemistry
- Physical Oceanography
- Mathematical Methods in Marine Physics
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- Doctoral Dissertation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications received by December 1st will have the highest chance of being invited to our on-site annual recruitment weekend visit in early February.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Hydrology & Water Management View 12 other PhDs in Hydrology & Water Management in United States
- The application will ask you to identify up to 5 faculty with whom you are interested in. See above statement for more details on this.
- Upload PDF of Statement of Purpose identifying your goals and objectives in pursuing a graduate degree. If you have already identified RSMAS faculty you are interested in, please be sure to include this information here as well.
- Upload PDF of unofficial transcripts (for review purposes only). See below statement on transcripts for more details on this.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons well situated to evaluate your qualifications for graduate study. The online application will ask you to enter your recommender's email addresses for the RSMAS recommendation letter form to be sent to them.
- Non-refundable application fee ($85).
International65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 24 months.
National65100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2170 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.