- The Ocean Sciences - Marine Biogeochemistry Track students at the University of Miami advance the understanding of physical, chemical, and biological processes in the ocean and their interactions. Students learn first-hand about instrumentation and methods to measure the ocean using both in-situ and space-based sensors, and about laboratory, analytical, and numerical models to understand oceanic processes. Our graduates develop into international leaders of ocean research, into teachers and communicators of ocean sciences, and into leaders and advisors of marine education, policy, and conservation.
- OCE offers opportunities for students to participate in research cruises and join field campaigns aboard our Research Vessel Walton Smith and aboard other vessels around the world, to perform experiments in our state-of-the-art wind-wave-storm surge simulator (SUSTAIN), and to run ocean and climate model simulations using our supercomputer facility. The OCE faculty excels in a wide range of topics including ocean circulation and climate, ocean carbon cycle, air-sea interaction, remote sensing, and marine ecosystem dynamics.
- Ocean Biogeochemistry
- Physical Oceanography
- Mathematical Methods in Marine Physics
- Biological Oceanography
- Chemical Oceanography
- Marine Organic Geochemistry
For more information, please visit the programme website.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Biology View 31 other PhDs in Earth Sciences in United States
- The most competitive UM applicants have a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree in a related field
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcripts
- Send official Test Scores: Test scores will only be accepted if they are submitted directly from the testing agency
- Complete the School Report
- Letter(s) or Recommendation
- Conduct updates, if applicable
- Special Programs may ask for additional requirements like a portfolio or/and schedule and audition
- If applicable, submit your financial aid documents
- For international students only: Submit official test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
International60900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2030 USD per credit during 24 months.
National60900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2030 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.