The overriding goal is to help students find their individual voice as composer/arrangers by the continued development of high-level skills that will enable him or her to pursue a career as a professional arranger/composer. Students encounter a creative, challenging and nurturing educational experience designed to meet their individual needs and desires with a respect to tradition and a reflection of current professional trends.
- The DMA in Jazz Composition from University of Miami is a very flexible program with an abundance of curricular choices.
- Along with course work typical of DMA programs including music bibliography, psychology of music and pedagogy and administration, students are able to choose from a wide range of composition, arranging and orchestration courses in both the jazz and classical departments depending on needs and interests.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Jazz Pedagogy and Administration
- Analysis of Jazz Styles
- Teaching Music in College
- Music Bibliography
- Analytical Techniques
- Psychology of Music
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts – an official transcript from ALL post-secondary schools attended, regardless of if a degree was granted or not, must be sent directly to the Frost School of Music from the issuing institution in order to be considered official
- Three letters of recommendation - sent through CollegeNet as part of application submission. These do not need to be sent separately
- Resume - attached to the application at the time of submission. This does not need to be sent separately
- GRE Score - Please contact your program faculty for specific GRE information
- TOEFL/IELTS Score - Please click here for more specific TOEFL/IELTS information
- Teaching/Conducting Sample
- Writing Sample
Living costs for Miami
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.