The curriculum develops critical thinking as well as written and oral communication skills. Students from University at Buffalo, receive personal attention from their advisors. Three distinct degree programs are designed to prepare students for their chosen career in research, biology education, biotech and pharmaceutical industries, or health areas.
- Nationally recognized program: Our Biomedical Sciences program is ranked in the top 10% of programs by research expenditures by the National Science Foundation and in the top quartile in terms of faculty quality and student experience (according to the National Research Council).
- Interdisciplinary training: Research in the department spans the breadth of biology, from molecules to populations. In this environment, students are trained to draw connections and examine living systems at all levels of complexity.
- Superior training culture: PhD students work closely with mentors and committee members in a supportive, rigorous research environment.
- Full financial support: All PhD students are supported with a combination of renewable teaching and research assistantships. Support also includes tuition scholarships.
- Training beyond the laboratory: The program teaches grant-writing, public speaking, and classroom instruction, ensuring you are well prepared to succeed after graduation.
- As a foundation for advanced research, PhD candidates complete 22 credit hours of coursework in their first two years in the program.
- Courses cover advanced topics in the biological sciences and teach critical thinking, analysis of primary scientific literature, and experimental design.
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Biochemistry View 47 other PhDs in Biomedicine in United States
Admission requirements vary by program, but here we provide some general graduate admission requirements. Once you've read these general requirements, please contact your desired department for specific advice and details on submitting your application and documents.
To be eligible for graduate study at UB, we expect:
- A B-grade or higher
- Appropriate standardized test scores (DAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MAT, MCAT, PCAT, etc.). Not all programs require test scores. See the official academic test scores section below for more information.
- Letters of recommendation.
- An internship or relevant work experience (for some programs).
International11550 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per year during 60 months.
National11550 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per year during 60 months.
In-State5655 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.