The Ph.D. Program in Educational Psychology - Counseling Psychology Emphasis at University of Utah is offered through the Department of Educational Psychology in the College of Education at the University of Utah. Students who complete the Counseling Psychology Program develop comprehensive knowledge and skills in core areas of scientific psychology, psychological inquiry, and the professional practice of psychology.
Upon graduation, students accept a wide variety of entry-level positions in higher education (academic departments or counseling centers), hospital and medical settings, community mental health centers and agencies, managed care organizations, departments of corrections, private agencies, and business and organizational settings with diverse clientele. Students graduating from our program will have completed all requirements to apply for licensure as a psychologist, with the exception of states that require additional coursework or postdoctoral supervised hours for licensure.
Program requirements include:
- Coursework in the behavioral sciences, research and statistics, counseling and psychotherapy, and a special proficiency identified by the student
- Counseling practice, including an introductory counseling practicum, a 1-year intensive core practicum at the University Counseling Center, approximately 2 years of advanced field practicum, and a 1-year pre-doctoral internship
- Presentation at a regional/ national conference
- Submission of a scholarly article or chapter to a peer-reviewed journal
- Completion of a Pre-dissertation Research Project
- Successful completion of the Doctoral Qualifying Examination
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Clinical Psychology View 37 other PhDs in Clinical Psychology in United States
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program
International125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State35280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.