- Doctoral Musical Arts students at University of Utah are required to maintain a 3.0 or higher grade point average. A grade of “B-” or better is required for all music courses.
- Written Qualifying Examinations must be completed in the Major Area and the Related Field.
- Following a final recital and completion of a Dissertation Essay, each student must successfully complete an oral examination that will emphasize a defense of the paper/project and will provide clarification or answer questions regarding the qualifying exams.
- Students working toward a D.M.A. choose one of five tracks: Instrumental Performance, Piano Performance, Vocal Performance, Choral Conducting, or Instrumental Conducting.
- Music Literature: Renaissance
- Music Literature: Baroque
- Music Literature: Classical
- Music Literature: Romantic
- Music Literature: 1900 to the Present
- Music Literature: American
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History Liberal Arts View 18 other PhDs in Music History in United States
- Have a Master’s Degree in Music from an accredited university
- Meet the basic Doctoral admission requirements outlined by the University of Utah Graduate School
- Audition in person or by DVD, as outlined on the School of Music website
- Submit a Statement of Purpose
- Submit a current CV or resume
- Submit a comprehensive repertoire list of works performed and works studied
- Submit three letters of recommendation
International64743 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National64743 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State18228 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.