A Philosophy student at University of Utah who fails to meet the conditions set out below shall have their “Funding Eligible” status reviewed by the Graduate Committee, upon which the Graduate Committee may issue guidance to the student, set conditions upon remaining in Funding Eligible standing, remove Funding Eligible standing or remove funding, as appropriate.
Maintain a high level of quality in all graduate work
- Students who receive a B- or below in a philosophy graduate course will have their Funding Eligible standing status reviewed by the Graduate Committee within one semester.
- Students shall not have excessive incompletes (I grades). No more than two, and none lasting more than two years.
- Students must pass the Graduate Study Qualifying Examination (GSQE) during the first year of study as a matriculated student. Students must complete a total of 12 graduate level Philosophy courses, including two sections of PHIL 7010 - Proseminar.
- Entering graduate students must also take graduate courses or seminars in the following field areas: two courses in Metaphysics and Epistemology (this field requirement also includes Philosophy of Science, Cognitive Science, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Language, and related areas), two courses in History of Philosophy, two courses in Ethics and Value Theory (this field may include Ethics, Applied Aesthetics, and related courses), and one course in advanced logic
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics View 16 other PhDs in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- An applicant for admission to The Graduate School must meet the following minimum requirements:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program.
International125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State35280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.