All Chemistry graduate students at University of Utah are encouraged to select a research director and to begin their thesis research no later than the end of the second semester in residence. The graduate program is flexible in order to meet the specific objectives of the candidate. It is possible to work on a problem involving collaborations with more than one faculty member.
At the beginning of the third year, all students must pass an informal oral examination designed to assure that significant progress has been made in the design and execution of the Ph.D. research project. Students are required to give a seminar in the Department. The Ph.D. course of study typically requires 4-5 years. The final requirement for graduation is an oral defense of a thesis written by the candidate as a formal exposition of his or her research accomplishments.
The Graduate Education Committee monitors the progress of students. This committee handles all problems students might have with degree requirements and is the place to go to seek clarification and consideration.
- Students complete a series of approximately eight half-semester courses during their first year in residence.
- The choice of courses depend upon the area of specialization. All students receive counseling to assist them with the proper choice of courses.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biochemistry View 27 other PhDs in Chemical Engineering in United States
- Graduation from a recognized four-year college, university, or institute of technology.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- GRE scores are required. Applicants should take the package of General Test measures containing the Mathematical Reasoning test.
- TSE score of at least 50.
- TOEFL score of at least 630 on the paper based exam or 250 on the computer based exam.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-StateFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.