Sociology Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students at University of Utah will gain working knowledge of the main theories and debates within sociology, the principles of social science, research design and data analysis.
- Students will gain the ability to synthesize state-of-the-art theory and research in their chosen areas of interest.
- Students will gain the ability to conduct independent, original, and scientifically meritorious work. This ability is built upon the knowledge of social theory, research design, and quantitative and qualitative analytical approaches developed in required coursework, preliminary exam preparation, and through faculty mentorship.
- Students will become competent teachers. Students will receive training in pedagogical techniques, and/or have opportunities to be a teaching assistant or an independent instructor teaching their own courses.
- Students will develop skills in communicating research study design and results to diverse audiences. The program encourages students to attend academic conferences to present their research.
- Proseminar in Sociology
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Methods of Social Research
- Research Instruction
- Case Studies and Research Ethics
- 3rd Year Research Project
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 48 other PhDs in Sociology in United States
An applicant for admission to The Graduate School must meet the following minimum requirements:
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0, based on all undergraduate work. If the undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, a GPA will be calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of the undergraduate work for admission consideration;
- Meeting the academic department’s admission standards, and receiving a recommendation for admission to their graduate program.
International125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
National125310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4177 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State35280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1176 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.