The core technology in optimization is the solution of large sparse linear and quadratic problems, and we provide world-class expertise in the two main solution methods for these: the simplex method and the interior point method. In combinatorial optimization, we provide expertise for modelling real-world problems using integer linear programming formulations and for deriving efficient exact and heuristic algorithms to solve them.
Specialist expertise in energy includes optimization of system planning and optimization, security of supply risk analysis, and decision support for public policy. We also have interests in PDE-constrained optimization, global optimization, decomposition methods, parallel computing, industrial applications of optimization and stochastic optimization.
Training and support
Being part of the Optimization and Operational Research group at The University of Edinburgh will give you the opportunity to meet and confer with academics worldwide. You will be a member of the Edinburgh Research Group in Optimization (ERGO) which, through its regular seminar series, attracts local and international researchers interested in the development of operational research and optimization.
As a group, we are currently collaborating with researchers in Denmark, the Netherlands, Canada, USA, Italy, Norway, China, France, Spain, Germany and Turkey, and are invited to give addresses and organise workshops at major optimization, OR and energy conferences.
Specific topics which could yield PhD projects include
- Algorithms for linear and nonlinear nonconvex smooth optimization problems.
- Optimization methods for linear, integer linear, quadratic and nonlinear programming.
- Decomposition methods for large-scale nonlinear nonconvex constrained optimization.
- Bundle methods.
- Warm starts for interior point methods.
- Pooling problems.
- Applications of optimization in logistics.
- Parameter uncertainty in queueing theory and revenue management.
- Facility location and vehicle routing
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics View 55 other PhDs in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- A UK first class honours degree, or its international equivalent, in an appropriate subject; or a UK 2:1 honours degree plus a UK masters degree, or their international equivalents; or relevant qualifications and experience.
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 36 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
PhD PT fees
- International/EU: £11,675
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.