During the Creative Writing programme offered by The University of Edinburgh, you will aim towards the production of a substantial, publishable piece of creative writing, accompanied by a sustained exercise in critical study.
The academic staff you will be working with are all active researchers or authors, including well-published and prize-winning writers of poetry, prose fiction and drama.
A UNESCO World City of Literature, Edinburgh is a remarkable place to study, write, publish, discuss and perform prose, poetry and drama.
Take a PhD with us and you will be based in the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC) in the historic centre of this world-leading festival city.
Programme StructureTraining and support:
- We encourage you to share your research and learn from the work of others through a programme of seminars and visiting speakers.
- We have an in-house Writer-in-Residence, annual writing prizes, and a range of opportunities to learn from experts in the publishing industry.
- We also offer access to opportunities provided by the Sottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities.
- Our postgraduate journal, Forum, is a valuable conduit for research findings and provides an opportunity to gain editorial experience.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 69 other PhDs in Literature in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A UK masters degree, or its international equivalent, in creative writing, normally with distinction.
- We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 36 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
PhD PT fees
- International/EU: £11,675
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.