The purpose of the Engineering programme at De Montfort University is to provide both research experience and the training to be a successful researcher. The training component is delivered through a series of taught modules and seminars.
The engineering sector has a crucial role to play in delivering growth and maintaining competitiveness in a rapidly growing global market and in designing and shaping the technologies of tomorrow. Engineering is vital to our everyday lives – from essentials like running water, transport and power generation through to household appliances, computers and mobile phones.
Engineering has long been a mainstay of research and innovation in De Montfort University: it is at the heart of the UK Government’s STEM agenda and is a popular subject for overseas investment in research capability. Engineering covers a broad range of individual subjects and is organised within the School of Engineering and Sustainable Development into four main Centres. The DTP in Engineering develops research and technical skills of the PhD students through a programme of modules as well as a structured programme of personal development to facilitate the student’s development as independent researchers.
- Engineering Business Environment
- Research methods
- Summarising technical papers and articles
- Oral presentations
- The structure and language of a research paper
- Dissecting an engineering thesis and identifying good practice
- 36 months
- 56 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology View 77 other PhDs in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- Possess a UK Honours degree with at least an upper second class (2:1), or an academic or professional qualification plus experience in their sector or industry which the Research Degrees Committee Faculty Review Panel deems to be equivalent.
- It is possible for students based overseas to study on the 'International Programme' where the students spends almost all their time in their home country. However, the admission requirements for such students are higher than they are for students who study in Leicester, and an experienced local supervisor to the student is also required.
It is expected that students will apply to the DTP, identifying one or more key research themes based on the principal research themes of the staff listed in the document. The details of the supervisory team will be agreed during the application/interview process.
International12700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12700 GBP per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4407 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK-EU: Part-time: £2,204
- International: Part-time: £6,100
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.