The Computer Science and Systems Engineering (CSSE) programme of the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca is based on a set of common courses, covering the fundamentals of numerical linear algebra and numerical methods for differential equations, computer programming, cybersecurity, dynamical systems and control, numerical optimization, stochastic processes, and machine learning. These basic courses are followed by a number of advanced courses and research seminars related to the different areas of specialization for the PhD work:
- Research in computer science deals with the development of languages, models, algorithms, and verification methods for modern distributed systems. In particular, the research focuses on cutting- edge investigations of adaptive systems, automated verification, cloud computing, cybersecurity, dynamical systems, mobile systems, and performance evaluation.
- Research in control systems covers machine learning techniques for identification of dynamical models from data, and optimization-based control of dynamical systems with an emphasis on real- time embedded optimization algorithms for model predictive control of small-scale/fast, stochastic, distributed, and large-scale dynamical systems. Application areas include industrial problems arising from the automotive, aerospace, smart-grid, and finance domains.
- Research in computational mechanics is concerned with the development of innovative computational methods to study advanced problems of solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, and cutting-edge problems involving multiple fields and length scales of high interest in both the academic and industrial sectors.
Input and Output ProfilesPerspective students should preferably have a master-level background in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics, statistics, or in a related field. The CSSE track prepares researchers and professionals that are able to analyze and propose constructive solutions to several real-life problems of industrial, economic, and societal interest, making them qualified to work in high-profile professional roles within universities, research centers, and the private sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Numerical Analysis
- Advanced Topics of Computational Mechanics
- Applications of Stochastic Processes
- Basic Elements of Cybersecurity
- Computational Contact and Fracture Mechanics
- Computer and Network Security
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- "Laurea Magistrale" or "Specialistica" (according to DM n° 509, of November 3, 1999), or a four- or fiveyear degree (according to the previous rules of the Italian higher education system) obtained in Italy;
- Foreign degrees with a minimum duration equivalent to 4 years (full time). The 4-year duration should be considered a minimum but not sufficient requirement: the eligibility of degrees will be assessed by the Selection Committees.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Lucca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.