Join our community and undertake a specialised research project under the guidance of experienced and well-published supervisors.
We have particular strengths in:
- classical and modern Chinese literature
- modern Chinese culture
- the performing arts and film
- ancient Chinese philosophy and religion
- modern Chinese politics and society
Facilities of the Chinese program at The University of Edinburgh
Based in the Main University Library, the Centre for Research Collections is unique in the UK, bringing together:
- a collection of more than 400,000 rare books (including Chengtze's 1440 Book of Changes)
- six kilometres of archives and manuscripts
- the University’s collections of art, historical musical instruments and other objects
Notable collections include the East Asian Studies Collection of some 50,000 print and digital resources, the vast majority of which are in the Chinese language.
Programme StructureTraining and support
This programme includes optional training on research skills, methods and problems, including those specific to Chinese/Asian Studies.You will find a further range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills with support from:
- the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC)
- the Careers Service
- the Institute for Academic Development (IAD)
You will also have access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 94 other PhDs in Languages in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree and a masters degree, or their international equivalents, in a related subject.
- We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience; please check with your potential supervisor before you apply.
International21150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21150 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
PhD PT fees
- International - £10,575
- Home: £2,250
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.