As the oldest department of English Literature in the UK, based in one of the largest and most diverse Schools in the University of Edinburgh, we are the ideal place for PhD study.
Our interdisciplinary environment in English Literature at The University of Edinburgh brings together specialists in all periods and genres of literature and literary analysis. Given the breadth and depth of our expertise, we are able to support students wishing to develop research projects in any field of Anglophone literary studies.
We have particular strengths in each of the main periods of English and Scottish Literature – medieval, renaissance/early modern, enlightenment, romantic, Victorian, modernist, post-war, contemporary and 21st century. We also have concentrations of expertise in American studies, in literary and critical theory, the history of the book, gender and sexuality, and in global Anglophone literatures (including postcolonial studies).
Training and support
Between LLC, the Careers Service and the Institute for Academic Development (IAD), you’ll find a range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills, as well as having access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
We have particular strengths in each of the main periods of English and Scottish Literature –
- renaissance/early modern,
- post-war, contemporary and 21st century
- We also have concentrations of expertise in American studies, in literary and critical theory, the history of the book, gender and sexuality, and in global Anglophone literatures (including postcolonial studies).
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 69 other PhDs in Literature in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A UK masters, or its international equivalent, with a mark of at least 65% in your English literature dissertation of at least 10,000 words.
- If your masters programme did not include a dissertation or included a dissertation that was unmarked or less than 10,000 words, you will be expected to produce an exceptional research proposal and personal statement to show your ability to undertake research at the level required by this programme.
International21150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21150 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
PhD PT fees
- International - £10,575
- Home: £2,250
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.