As well as being a highly respected qualification from a top-ranking university, a postgraduate research degree in film studies places you at the heart of a vibrant, artistic city with a flourishing film culture.
Our expert academic staff and extensive library of books, journals and films will support and inspire you in your research. There is easy access to the impressive collections of the National Library of Scotland and local cultural centres. The city is home to the Edinburgh International Film Festival, along with many other festivals, cinemas and film organisations.
Facilities of the PhD in Film Studies at The University of Edinburgh
On hand are all the amenities you would expect, such as computing facilities and study areas as well as a high specification digital screening room.
We have an extensive collection of film books and journals, a large number of films available to stream and an impressive DVD library.
The National Library of Scotland provides a remarkable choice of texts on film. Cultural centres located in Edinburgh, such as the Institut Francais d'Ecosse and the Italian Institute, also house DVD collections and host regular film screenings.
Programme StructureTraining and support
- The Edinburgh Film Seminar gives you access to presentations, discussions and lectures by leading film academics and film professionals.
- You will also be involved in the activities of the Edinburgh Film Research Network including conferences, presentations and study days.
- Student-led screenings, discussion groups, Work-in-Progress seminars and film clubs are among the numerous ways in which we will encourage you to widen your experience and develop networks that will help carry you into an academic career or employment related to film and the moving image.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Creative Writing Media Studies & Mass Media View 25 other PhDs in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree and a masters degree, or their international equivalents, in a related subject.
- We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience; please check with your potential supervisor before you apply.
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 36 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
PhD PT fees
- International/EU: £11,675
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.