With over 260 years of history in teaching and research, we are globally recognised as a leading centre for postgraduate study in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Our research resources and facilities are outstanding, and we have excellent links with a number of centres and networks, including the Alwaleed Centre and the Centre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies.
Facilities of the Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies (IMES) programme at The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh contains exceptional resources for study and research in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Based in the Main University Library, the Centre for Research Collections is unique in the UK, bringing together a collection of more than 400,000 rare books, six kilometres of archives and manuscripts, and the University’s collections of art, historical musical instruments and other objects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Our expertise includes:
- language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature, classical Persian literature, cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
- history and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran and Egypt
- religion: early and classical Islam, Qur’an and Qur’anic exegesis, Hadith, the biography of Muhammad, Sufism, Islam in the Ottoman Empire
- contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
- arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: particularly visual arts, cinema
- gender and sexuality in the Middle East and North Africa, contemporary Arab media
- Shi’ism: Shi’i history and contemporary Shi’ism
- Islam and Muslims in Europe
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Religious Studies & Theology Islamic Studies View 27 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree and a masters degree, or their international equivalents, in a related subject. We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience; please check with your potential supervisor before you apply.
International21150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21150 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
PhD PT fees
- International - £10,575
- Home: £2,250
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.