Training and support
PhD students will usually follow our MSc by Research in STS for their first year.
This comprises specialist courses, as well as training in research methods. By the end of this year, you will have completed a full research proposal.
You will join the lively research community and participate in regular seminars and workshops, and, if a PhD student, an annual PhD student day and a retreat.
Frequent seminars and lectures by visiting scholars provide opportunities for contacts beyond the University.
Facilities of the Science and Technology Studies at The University of Edinburgh
Research library and archive facilities in Edinburgh are outstanding.
All research students are members of the Graduate School of Social & Political Science, with full access to the Graduate School’s facilities in the Chrystal Macmillan Building.
Other library and archive facilities include the:
- University’s Main Library
- National Library of Scotland
- Scottish Records Office
Particular strengths in research include:
- the history and philosophy of science
- the social shaping of technology
- the history of medicine
- the politics of controversies and public engagement with science and technology
- science, technology and gender
- the sociology of financial markets and emissions trading schemes
- innovation in biotechnology and the life sciences
- the development and use of information and communication technologies
- innovation for sustainability
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNatural Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing View 36 other PhDs in Natural Sciences in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent, and a UK masters degree with an overall mark of 65% or its international equivalent.
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 36 months.
Home fees have still to be agreed
PhD PT fees
- International/EU: £11,675
MScR FT fees
- Home: £9,700
- International/EU: £31,100
MScR PT fees
- Home: £4,850
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.