Specific examples of Divisional research include improvements to aid detection of drug-facilitated sexual assaults, the use of nanoparticles for forensic purposes, the fate and effects of xenobiotics in the environment, toxicology of ambient particulate matter, defining mechanisms of environmental carcinogenesis and unraveling toxicogenomic fingerprints via a model organism approach.
The Drug Control Centre in the Division is the UK World Anti-Doping Agency accredited laboratory and played a key role in the London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic and the Glasgow XX Commonwealth Games in 2014 anti-doping screening programme. Environmental science activity across the Division focuses on air, water and soil quality and includes monitoring, modelling and toxicology research. Atmospheric science research is undertaken within the Environmental Research Group, which is part of the MRC-PHE Centre for Environmental Health and the NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Health Impact of Environmental Hazards.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureProgramme structure:
- Work is usually laboratory-based but we also offer data analysis projects. The Division has excellent facilities for molecular biology, cell culture, confocal microscopy, radioisotope, NMR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, DNA sequencing and oligonucleotide synthesis.
- Central facilities available to staff & students within the division include state-of-the-art library and IT facilities, with an extensive collection of books, journals and electronic databases available to all students.
- Each PhD student is provided with deskspace and computer access. The Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine has strict procedures in place to ensure adherence to good laboratory practice, overseen by the Faculty Safety Manager.
- These assessments (and the associated working procedures) are kept under review and modified as necessary.
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEnvironmental Sciences View 29 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree with 2:1 honours in a biomedical science, medicine or dentistry (or overseas equivalent). Relevant experience may also be acceptable.
- A 2:2 degree may be considered if the applicant also has a Master's degree with a merit or distinction.
International21870 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21870 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
National5820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5820 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.