The purpose of the doctoral programme is to prepare students with exceptional talent for careers in research and teaching at the world's leading academic institutions, research centres, consulting and financial firms, and international organizations. It is therefore oriented toward developing students' research skills and independence of thought.
The programme is a partner in theEuropean Doctoral Program (EDP) in Quantitative Economics, a joint initiative by the Department of Economics at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, the London School of Economics, the European University Institute (Florence), the Université Catholique de Louvain, the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciencies Sociales (Paris) and the Universität Bonn.
In order to be admitted to the PhD Programme, candidates must provide accreditation that they have obtained anundergraduate degree (Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent degree from an accredited institution of Higher Education).
Moreover, they have to prove that they have obtained or are in position to obtain an accredited graduate/master's degree (equivalent to a Spanish Master Universitario/Oficial). This must be a clearly research oriented master in the fields of economics, finance or management.
Lines of Research
- Behavioral and Experimental Economics
- Business Economics and Industrial Organization
- Economic and Business History
- Finance and Accounting
- Labour, Public, Development and Health Economics
- Macroeconomics and International Economics
- Management and Organization Studies
- Operations Management
- Statistics, Econometrics and Quantitative Methods
- Applied Game Theory
- Portfolio management and risk of interest rates
- International finance
- Economics of Banking
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A photocopy of the official final undergraduate transcript.
- A Research Proposal
- Two academic reference letters
- Proof of knowledge of the English language
If the Master's degree has been completed before the application is field:
- A photocopy of the graduate/master's degree/diploma or Certification/proof of degree completion
- A photocopy of the official final graduate/master's transcript
If the Master's degree has not been completed before the application:
- Photocopy of the provisional graduate/master's transcript
International401 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 401 EUR per year during 36 months.
EU/EEA401 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 401 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.