Professional Doctorate in Health and Social Care at University of Portsmouth is an alternative pathway to a doctorate qualification. It is a rigorous programme of advanced study and research, designed specifically to meet the needs of commerce, industry and professional groups and is the professionally oriented counterpart to the more theoretical PhD. It enables students to study a specific subject to the same depth as PhD students, but also allows them to apply learning to their professional practice.
Teaching and assessment
Each student will be assigned one or more University supervisors, depending on the area of research and professional development. Access to specialist advisors in the workplace will be required for Part 2 of the programme and will vary according to the area of investigation. We have excellent support systems for our Professional Doctorate students. All students are assigned a Personal Tutor for Part 1 as well as two Supervisors for Part 2 of the course.
There are further opportunities to attend Research Seminars and Workshops organised by the University's Graduate School.
- Professional Review and Development
- Advanced Research Techniques
- Publication and Dissemination
- Proposal for Professional Research and Development
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A postgraduate level qualification or equivalent in an appropriate subject and a suitable workplace environment to support the professional research and development project. Applicants are subject to interview.
International7750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7750 GBP per year
National2950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2950 GBP per year
- International students (Health Science; Nursing; Social Work): £7,750 a year*
- International students (Biomedical Science; Pharmacy): £8,450 a year*
- EU, EEA or Swiss students: A Transition Scholarship will be applied to your fees reducing them to the same amount as UK students.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.