Prospective applicants are invited to apply, outlining their research interests. We have ESRC recognition for our research training programmes.
We help research students of this Geography - Urban and Regional Studies from University of Birmingham to produce publications arising from their work and encourage them to publish as single authors when appropriate. Many research students are aiming for academic careers and we recognise the importance of providing opportunities for them to be involved in teaching and tutorial work, without compromising their obligations as research students.
- Urban and brownfield regeneration policies; Culture-led regeneration; Planning and sustainable development; Comparative planning in Europe (especially France, Great Britain and Switzerland).
- City centre regeneration; City living and gentrification; Inter-city competition and co-operation; Comparative urban development in Britain, Europe and North America.
- Housing markets and neighbourhood change; Housing and social exclusion; Issues related to concentrations of deprivation, segregation and excluded communities; Development of models of affordability at local and regional level for the purpose of housing strategy development.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArchitecture Geography View 25 other PhDs in Architecture in United Kingdom
- Applicants for a degree by research should have at least a good Honours degree (minimum: upper second-class or equivalent). Students are not normally admitted to an MPhil or PhD degree without first having completed a taught Masters degree.
International18450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18450 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 36 months.
Home/EU students: £2,190 PT
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.