The first year of the Doctoral Program in Biology at Universidade de Aveiro includes a curricular component (60 ECTS) structured in courses of advanced training modules in various thematic areas of the scientific field of biology, tutorial classes, training in management option in any scientific area and the beginning of the thesis component (10 ECTS). At the end of this first year PhD student will have to submit and publicly defend his doctoral plan, with the continuation of their dependent upon a positive evaluation studies of this presentation.
Here is a second year with a tutorial component smaller than the 1st year (only 10 ECTS) and a research leading to the submission of a thesis (50 ECTS), which extends the 3rd and 4th years, with a weight of 60 ECTS each year, therefore, the argument corresponding to 3 years working full-time (180 ETCS).
Thus, the three years that follow the 1st year are devoted to the development of research work, preparation of publications, thesis writing and defense of this evidence in public. The thesis must relate to original research in the field of Biology at the choice of the student, within one of the subject areas offered under the Advanced Courses: Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Ecology, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management; Ecotoxicology and Biology environmental, Marine Biology, Ecology and Tropical Biology; Cynegetic and Aquaculture Resources, Communication, Reporting and Biological Illustration, Biology and Applied Biosciences.
The general objectives of the PhD program are:
- A general understanding of the main branches of biology, and the ability to recognize their interactions.
- The high quality training in a research environment demanding yet supported, with the participation of scientists of international standing .
- Training in advanced methods and techniques of analysis and applied research in the field and laboratory.
- Developing the capacity to seek and interpret complex scientific information.
- The development of the ability to conduct original research and able to fulfill the process of peer review.
- The development of the ability to conceptualise, design, implement and manage scientific research.
- The development of the ability to interact with teams of interdisciplinary research in the identification and formulation of relevant scientific problems.
- The development of the ability to find funding for the implementation of scientific edge.
- The development of the ability to present ideas and the scientific specialist and non-specialist audiences results.
- The acquisition of skills in entrepreneurship and self-employment area .
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Course in Cell Biology
- Advanced Course in Biology and Applied Biosciences
- Advanced Course in Biology and Tropical Ecology
- Advanced Course in Marine Biology
- Advanced Course in Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Advanced Course in Communication, Distribution and Biological
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Genetics
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applicants for enrolment will be selected by the Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro in accordance with the proposal made by the Director of the Study Cycle, taking intoaccount the following parameters:
- Academic curriculum;
- Scientific curriculum and /or Professional curriculum.
- An interview and / or a written test may be required as complementary criteria.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 48 months.
National2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Aveiro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.