- Consolidate knowledge of MCE;
- Acquire skills in the use of advanced experimental techniques for characterization of materials, including the optimization of their applicability and development of other research methods in materials science and engineering;
- Acquire knowledge and skills in advanced processing methods, including unconventional methods that make it possible to surmount limitations to the development of new materials and functionalities;
- Promote the ability to integrate acquired knowledge in identifying appropriate solutions to problems of interdisciplinary nature;
- Enhance the capacity of independent selection and application of advanced experimental techniques to solve problems of scientific and technological nature;
- Develop and improve the ability to publicly and under different forms, display ideas and communicate research findings, by selecting and using the most appropriate and modern communication technologies;
- Develop ability to autonomously search relevant information for research and thesis work, based on scientific and technical literature;
- Develop skills of research work independently and in teams;
- Enhancing skills of analysis and discussion of socio-economic consequences, cultural and ethical implications of research and developments in the field of MCE by integrating them in the scientific work and enhancing the identification of patentable results or of research outcomes liable to commercial exploitation.
The objectives of the preparation of the PhD thesis are:
- Create conditions that foster the integration of student in research projects of quality and guide the selection of a research topic in MCE, providing a consistent framework for the student in work environments of high scientific dynamism;
- Acquire and consolidate skills of relevant nature in the scale of the international community that are necessary for the development of an original doctoral thesis in MCE;
- Develop competences of autonomous planning and executing a research plan in MCE;
- Acquiring skills for the treatment of research results in view of patent registration or other ways to ensure intellectual property rights and publication of scientific articles in journals with referees, specialty books, conference proceedings and other forms of written disclosure;
- Acquiring skills in the dissemination or public presentation and discussion of research results in the form of oral presentations, posters, participation in debates, etc.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Devices and Sensors
- Laboratories Of Electronic Microscopy Of Transmission
- Advanced Preparation Methods
- Carbon Nanostructures-technologies and Applications
- Physical Properties Of Materials
- Chemistry of Nanostructures
- Seminar of Materials
- Environmental Management Systems
- Micro and Nano Processing Technologies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 6 other PhDs in Materials Science & Engineering in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applicants for enrolment will be selected by the Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro in accordance with the proposal made by the Director of the Study Cycle, taking intoaccount the following parameters:
- Academic curriculum;
- Scientific curriculum;
- An interview and / or a written test may be required as complementary criteria.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
National2750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2750 EUR per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Aveiro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.