The doctoral program in Political Science - Comparative Politics Track at Central European University (CEU) unites two sub-fields within Political Science: comparative government and political sociology. The track aims to attract scholars who are interested in institutional frameworks and their cultural underpinnings in modern politics. In this regard, the fundamental goal is to prepare students in explaining variance in institutional settings and identify regularities in political behavior. Thus, for the most part teaching on the track focuses on the interaction between political institutions and citizens. Study on the track utilizes comparative, statistical, experimental, case study and qualitative methods. The track also accommodates thematic studies with global, regional, and national foci.
The track welcomes applications in the following research areas:
- Political culture
- European politics
- Comparative method
- Social movements
- Parties and interest groups
- Political psychology
- Institutional change
- Political behavior
- Public opinion
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Political Institutions in Comparative Perspective
- Political Sociology and Political Economy
- Political Dynamics
- Advanced Methods within Comparative Politics
- Domestic Politics in the Global Economy
- Modern Political Thought
- Automated Text Analysis in Political Science
- Constituent Power
- Democratic Theory
- International Relations Theory
- Public Policy and Public Administration
- Security Theory and Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 5 other PhDs in Political Science in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Statement of purpose
- Outline of master’s thesis or other substantial academic work
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Candidates who apply by February 1, 2021 are automatically considered for CEU Doctoral Scholarship that includes a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.