Our four-year Robotics and Autonomous Systems programme from University of Bristol leads to the award of a joint PhD degree from both the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England. A PhD is a uniquely challenging and rewarding endeavour, especially in a cutting-edge field like RAS.
We have enhanced the standard individual PhD in various ways to give you the best possible start on your RAS research and innovation career:
- specialist taught modules in a wide variety of RAS technologies to equip you for research;
- exposure to a diverse range of industry and academic RAS topics to give you a broad view of the potential and context of RAS;
- cohort-based skills training including enterprise, public engagement, communication and research methods;
- group projects and industry study workshops to foster creativity, practical skills and integration.
Students graduating from this programme will be suited to careers in industry, as ambassadors for robotics across many different sectors, or starting their own enterprises.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Aerial Robots
- Assisted Living
- Bioenergy and Self Sustainable Systems
- Biomimetic and Neuro-robotics
- Connected Autonomous Vehicles
- Robots for Hazardous Environments
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Two application rounds are held per year, with deadlines typically around January and March. All applications received will be assessed by the CDT management team, with shortlisted applicants invited to attend an interview.
DisciplinesRobotics Artificial Intelligence Machine Learning
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An upper second-class honours degree in an engineering, physics, mathematics or related subject. Other disciplines will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24900 GBP per year during 48 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.