Maynooth University is one of the main centres of research in German Studies in Ireland. The research profiles of staff members are very varied, covering all periods of German literature and including many aspects of German culture and history. Other particular areas of research include travel writing, intercultural encounters, aesthetics, minorities, German-Jewish studies and postcolonial studies. Research topics from other areas need to be discussed with the prospective supervisor prior to application.
German is the largest language in Europe in terms of native speakers and one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, with more than 100 million native speakers and millions more speaking German as a second language. Germany has also the largest economy in Europe, thus making German a language widely offered in universities around the world. The German programme from Maynooth University enhances opportunities in teaching, the civil service, journalism as well as the diplomatic, academic and many other professions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Innovation and Research Commercialisation
- Research Funding Application
- Professional Certificate in Postgraduate Teaching & Learning: Tutors & Demonstrators
- Professional Skills - Thesis Completion and Career Development
- Academic Writing Module
- Conference Organisation
- Work-based Placement
- Research Placement
- Engaging With the Community:research, Practice and Reflection
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 4 other PhDs in Linguistics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Candidates normally must have a Masters degree with at least a 2.1 in German, or equivalent. In exceptional cases, candidates who do not fulfil this requirement may be accepted. Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part time EU 4330 EUR
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.