A student of the Mathematics programme from Maynooth University must write a thesis under the direction of a member of staff containing a significant new result or an original insight. Collaborations with outside parties have involved work in Chemistry, Medicine, Archaeology, Banking, Computer-Aided Design, and other areas.
PhD is the main entry degree for careers in research and third level teaching. However, many PhD graduates take up employment in areas such as Industry, Commerce, Banking and Finance, Insurance, Software Development, Process Engineering or Education.
A 2009 study in the US found that the best three jobs in terms of income, work environment, and other factors were Mathematician, Actuary, and Statistician, all jobs suited to Mathematics and Statistics graduates.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching Skills in Mathematical Science
- Small Group Interactive Teaching Skills
- Technical Presentation Skills in Mathematical Science
- Oral Presentation Skills in Mathematical Science
- Career and Research Advancement Portfolio
- French for Mathematical Science
- German for Mathematical Science
- Seminar Series in Mathematics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science View 3 other PhDs in Mathematics in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- The minimum entry requirement is a 2.1 Honours Degree in Mathematics or Statistics. A First Class degree is highly desirable. Before a student can be accepted into the programme, they must find a member of staff who is willing to act as their supervisor. For a PhD degree, a good MSc degree is often desirable.
- Applicants must have a recognized primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Part time EU: 4330 EUR
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.