The programme is designed to provide advanced professional and research skills to qualified, experienced practitioners in lead roles in youth work, community work, social work, rights and social change focused organisations.
Aims and Outcomes
- further progress the commitment of the Department and the University to combining the highest levels of academic achievement with excellence in professional education by educating flexible, innovative and skilled practitioners who can contribute to development of theory and practice in youth work, community work and the realisation of rights for marginalised groups.
- enable experienced practitioners to undertake original, rigorous research in youth work, community work and rights based contexts that contributes to the development of their disciplines.
While the participants on the DSocSc will be skilled professionals on entry to the programme, experience over the four years will prepare them to further advance in their professional and academic careers in the areas of senior management, policy development, teaching and research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social science, the social professions and the foundations of social research
- Social Research Debates & Processes
- Participatory and Feminist Analysis and Research
- Critical Debates in Practice
- Research Design
- Professional Practice: Perspectives on Education, Development, Gender, Diversity and Conflict & Mediation Studies
- Governance, Organisations, Leadership and Change
- Realising Rights: Social Policy Debates & Issues
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 4 other PhDs in Social Work in Ireland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All candidates should hold a professional qualification in one of the social professions and at least an MA or equivalent level 9 academic qualification, ideally in a social science discipline.
- They should have a minimum of five years post-qualifying professional experience in youth work, community work, social work, social policy or rights and social change work.
- We particularly welcome applications from social professions practitioners working in Higher Education.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Maynooth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.