Students in the Bioengineering program of the Northern Arizona University will develop expertise in collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data at a level appropriate for positions in industrial research and development or academia. After completing this degree, students will be ready to undertake careers in private companies, government organizations, nonprofits, and universities.
Graduates will be prepared to direct a research laboratory and decide which questions to investigate, lead a team that solves problems related to bioengineering, coordinate large research and development projects, teach others about bioengineering including how to conduct research, and translate research discoveries into inventions, products, and businesses.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will build skills and knowledge through formal course work and an original dissertation project. The goal is to foster students’ abilities to identify and synthesize fundamental principles of bioengineering and apply them to complex problems. NAU graduates with a Ph.D. in Bioengineering will have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrate the ability to apply graduate level critical thinking skills to formulate and solve advanced bioengineering problems in the emphasis area (Biomaterials, Biomechanics, Biophysics, Informatics & Computing).
- Interdisciplinarity: Demonstrate the ability to integrate information, data, techniques, tools, perspectives, concepts, and/or theories from two or more disciplines to advance fundamental understanding or to solve problems whose solutions are beyond the scope of a single discipline or area of research practice.
- Research Design and Execution: Demonstrate the ability to independently and creatively design and conduct research studies, including synthesis of the scientific literature in the field of study, design of dissertation research, and interpretation of complex quantitative analyses.
- Oral Communication: Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively the results of a comprehensive research project through oral presentations.
- Written Communication: Compose and engage in highly effective written communication in bioengineering; demonstrate clear argumentation and logic in a variety of written communications, including published papers and grant proposals.
- Biomechanical Engineering
- Comparative Animal Physiology
- Topics In Advanced Engineering Design
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology General Engineering & Technology View 179 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency
- GRE revised General Test
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- All applicants are expected to make contact with potential faculty members in the department before applying
- An earned thesis-based MS degree in a bioengineering, biology, mechanical engineering, or appropriately related science
- Demonstrated research ability by being a responsible author on a scientific, peer-reviewed publication (journal article)
International25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
National25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State10480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10480 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.