The Biology program of the Northern Arizona University prepares students for research-focused professions in the biological sciences, developing students’ expertise in the empirical foundations of their dissertation area, and collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data to push forward the forefront of knowledge in their biological field of study. Our faculty members conduct research in the many fields of biology, from the level of single molecules to whole ecosystems. From the first day of entry into our program, students work closely with their faculty mentor, selecting a course of study suited to their future goals and professional interests. The program enables graduates to contribute to the forefront of knowledge in the scientific community, share their knowledge through teaching, or apply it in public service or industry.
Students pursuing the emphasis in Ecology, Evolution & Conservation Biology will integrate theoretical and empirical concepts in ecology and evolutionary biology to understand ecological patterns and the mediating processes that drive populations, communities and ecosystems. Students will become familiar with ecological sampling techniques and statistical methodologies necessary to characterize populations, communities and ecosystems over broad geographic regions, and will apply current approaches for identifying and mitigating the effects of invasive species and anthropogenic impacts on threatened and endangered species within the natural ecosystems they inhabit.
- Elements Of Scientific Endeavor
- Concepts In Ecology
- Forestry Seminar Series
- Meta-analysis In Ecology And Evolution
- Conservation And Management Of Imperiled Species
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics Genetics View 182 other PhDs in Biology in United States
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- English language proficiency
- GRE revised General Test
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- All applicants are expected to make email contact with potential faculty members in the department before applying. Applicants should only apply if a mentor agrees to support the applicant.
- Knowledge of biology at the baccalaureate level
One of the following:
- An earned thesis-based MS degree in a biological or related science
- Demonstrated research ability by being a responsible author on a scientific, peer-reviewed publication (journal article)
International25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
National25708 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25708 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State10480 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10480 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Flagstaff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.