The doctoral Strategy and Entrepreneurship programme from Erasmus University Rotterdam combines gaining an in-depth understanding of core strategy topics, developing a thorough command of different research methods and skills, and hands-on training of getting high-impact research published. Joining the PhD programme means joining a department with a highly collaborative and cutting-edge research culture in which faculty members and PhD candidates work on topics that cover nearly all domains of the wider strategic management and entrepreneurship fields.
Every academic year, we admit about three internally and several externally funded, promising doctoral candidates, who follow a range of doctoral courses, work on joint and supervised papers, and hold conference or workshop presentations. The Department welcomes excellent candidates from diverse disciplinary and national backgrounds. We look for highly motivated candidates with a strong research orientation, as evidenced, for example, by an intriguing master thesis or research article. For more information, you may contact PhD Coordinator Dr. Frank Wijen.
- With over 30 faculty members, we cover variety of topics in the area of strategic management and entrepreneurship particularly in areas such as: strategy, organization, and governance; strategic entrepreneurship; strategy, knowledge, and innovation; global strategy; and behavioural strategy and entrepreneurial behavior.
To be considered for a position in the PhD in Management programme applicants are expected to have:
- At least an MSc, MA or MPhil degree in business or economics, or from related fields such as psychology, sociology, engineering, mathematics, etc. (depending on the PhD project)
- Excellent results in their first degree/graduate study.
- Explicit interest in and motivation for scientific research.
- A GMAT-test (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE-test (Graduate Record Examinations) is required for all entering students. The test results should not be older than five years and an indication of the required score is above the 85th percentile.
In addition to these formal requirements, applicants for the Programme are selected on the basis of their CVs, academic references, and interview(s) with the potential supervisor(s).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 60 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 60 months.
In the Netherlands, appointed PhD candidates are considered employees of the university and therefore no tuition fee is charged.
Living costs for Rotterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.