The aims of the Public Policy program of Nazarbayev University are:
- To contribute to the economic and social welfare of Kazakhstan through the supply of outstanding doctoral graduates in public policy with functional expertise in these areas.
- To build sustainability into the higher education sector in Kazakhstan through the provision of future faculty trained to international standards of teaching and research.
- To strengthen the research base of decision making in the public sector in Kazakhstan through the supply of highly trained researchers.
- To add to existing scholarship on public policy in Central Asia through peer-reviewed publications emanating from the work of PhD students/graduates.
- To raise the profile of GSPP as a School well-known for its research and scholarship.
The program structure comprises: 10 core courses, 2 electives, a thesis proposal and PhD qualifying examination taken the first two years, followed by the thesis preparation and written submission in years 3 & 4. The two electives modules will be drawn from an existing list of approved courses currently available at Masters level in GSPP but with different learning outcomes and assessment strategies. The overall 4-year program equates to 240 ECTS.
The learning outcomes of the PhD program are:
- Critically apply theories, methods and knowledge to address fundamental questions in the area of public policy, public administration and public management.
- Conduct relevant applied research by formulating, testing and generating hypotheses in key areas of enquiry.
- Collect, synthesize and analyse public policy data.
- Develop and demonstrate skills in oral and written communication, consistent with presentations and research papers disseminated at the doctoral level.
- Add to the body of academic discourse on public policy in Central Asia.
- Respect the principles of academic ethics and integrity.
- Develop and demonstrate academic research and leadership skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Public Administration & Management
- Public Policy and Analysis
- Microeconomics in the Public Sector
- Statistics in Public Policy
- The Politics of Public Policy
- Governance and Public Policy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Public Administration Public Policy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- First or upper-class second honours Bachelor`s degree (or equivalent: Cum Laude; Magna Cum Laude; and Summa Cum Laude) or a Master’s degree in a cognate discipline. During the application period, final year students may submit an official current transcript for consideration;
- At least 3 (three) years of relevant work experience. Based on GSPP’s Admissions Committee discretion, candidates with work experience less than 3 (three) years may also be considered if the applicant can demonstrate high academic performance;
- Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GRE/GMAT test (maybe submitted);
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a cover letter;
- Relevant research interest and knowledge of research subject as demonstrated in a written research proposal.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
- To learn more about the tuition fee applicable to this programme, please visit the university website
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.