You will undertake advanced study and reflection on theory and practice in the professional field of public administration and public policy, while drawing on, and extending, your professional experience and expertise.
As a doctoral student, you will choose a real-world public administration problem to explore as a research project and will be encouraged to do so in the context of your own workplace, organisation or community.
You will graduate from the program having made a unique contribution to professional practice in the field of public administration and ready to progress your career to the next level. As a Higher Degree by Research (HDR), this course is covered under the Australian Government's Research Training Program (RTP) funding model, which provides a fee offset for domestic students for the standard duration of the course.
Study a Professional Doctorate in Public Administration (Research) from University of Canberra and you will:
- undertake coursework that develops knowledge and skill in research methodology and research methods
- develop the research, writing and analysis skills which enable you to produce a dissertation which is an original and significant contribution to the relevant literature and/or professional practice
- prepare a substantial dissertation which adds to existing knowledge and forms an in-depth investigation and analysis of a particular professional issue
- initiate closer links between the University and senior professionals in fields associated with public administration and public policy.
- Sessional academic
- Senior research officer
- Senior research fellow
- Administration director
- Administrative services director
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methodology and Research Design
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Literature Review Seminar
- Professional Doctorate Research Proposal
- Public Administration Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Management Studies Public Administration View 9 other PhDs in Management Studies in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The Faculty must be satisfied that it is able to supervise the candidate's proposed dissertation and that the candidate satisfies the following admission requirements:
- holds at minimum a Bachelor degree and a post-Bachelor Honours year by research, or a Master or Graduate Diploma degree of 1 to 2 years full-time duration in a relevant field;
- has five years of professional practice in a relevant area;
- provides evidence of capacity for independent research under the guidance of a supervisory panel at the doctoral level and relevant professional development; and
- provides evidence of superior professional performance both intellectually and technically.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International28700 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28700 AUD per year during 48 months.
National23600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23600 AUD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.