The Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine at the University of Freiburg has as ultimate goal is to create a top notch Life Scientist of the Future who can assimilate knowledge and techniques from various disciplines as well as combine basic with translational research, biotechnology and drug development.
The graduate school is built on superb research and teaching programs in Protein Structure and Function, Synthetic Biology and Signalling, Developmental Biology, Neurosciences, Immunology and Virology, Molecular Medicine and Molecular Plant Sciences.
Candidates with a medical degree (MD) are eligible for the MD/PhD Biology and Medicine program. If they are admitted to the school either as track 1 or track 2 students their affiliation to SGBM will entitle them to register for a doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat.) at the Faculty of Biology. This applies only to medical doctors who have been selected by SGBM.
- Medical Thesis Training Program
- Fundamentals in Biostatistics
- Advanced Course in Biostatistics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Track 2 candidates can apply any time.
- Trask 1 is closed.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Natural Sciences View 17 other PhDs in Biology in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- To apply to the PhD program candidates must hold an excellent recent university degree (Master or German Diploma) in either biology, biochemistry, chemistry, molecular medicine, pharmacy or biotechnology or related fields. Candidates about to obtain such a degree are welcome to apply.
- Please note that the entire program is run in English so that fluency in both written and spoken English is essential.
- The thesis will be written in English and defense of the thesis takes place in English. Tests such as TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English), while not mandatory, are recommended for students whose first language is neither English nor German. Applicants who have taken such tests should upload the corresponding document where indicated. Interviews will take place in English and candidates who are not fluent will not be considered
Living costs for Freiburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.