Empirical-analytical research with a quantitative focus, methodological diversity as well as interdisciplinarity are the linchpins of research conducted within the department and the School of Social Sciences.
Research at the chairs of Political Economy, Political Sociology and Political Psychology acts as a bridge between political science on the one hand and sociology and psychology on the other, which are closely related fields.
Furthermore the School of Social Sciences closely collaborates with GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences and the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW).
The CDSS PhD Program in Political Science from University of Mannheim, offers courses in topical areas of research and advanced methods. The latter provide students with the tools for rigorous and thorough theoretical and empirical analysis such as, theories of rational and social choice, game theory, Bayesian learning models are as much part of this as are advanced quantitative methods, including multivariate analysis (OLS) and maximum likelihood estimation.
Main research fields:
- Elections and party competition in established democracies, but also processes of democratization and political decision-making in other forms of government
- European integration process
- National conflicts and civil wars
- Drivers and consequences of reform processes
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The prerequisite for admission is a master’s degree or a four year bachelor's degree in the respective field or equivalent.
- Personal data
- Letter of motivation
- Certificates and transcripts of grades
- GMAT (or GRE)
- Writing sample
- Any supplementary information relevant to your application.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
There are no tuitions fees, just a small semester fee of €194.30 Euros per term.
Living costs for Mannheim
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.