Frequently, empirical studies in this Sociology programme from the Graduate School of Economics and Social Science (GESS) at the University of Mannheim, are also complemented with international comparisons and longitudinal studies. Extensive surveys, administrative data, experimental designs, and historical sources form the basis of empirical research.
Empirical-analytical research with a quantitative focus, methodological diversity as well as interdisciplinarity are the linchpins of research conducted within the department and the School of Social Sciences.
The School of Social Sciences closely collaborates with GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences and the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW).
- Research at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES)
- Welfare state research, sociological theory, and economic and organizational sociology
- Research on methods of empirical social research
- Sociopsychological research
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The prerequisite for admission is a master’s degree or a four year bachelor's degree in the respective field or equivalent.
- Personal data
- Letter of motivation
- Certificates and transcripts of grades
- GMAT (or GRE)
- Writing sample
- Any supplementary information relevant to your application.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 48 months.
There are no tuitions fees, just a small semester fee of €194.30 Euros per term.
Living costs for Mannheim
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.