The Building Performance Simulation programme offered by University of Liège aims at contributing to a better society by indicating the vulnerability of occupants in the indoor environment to the projected impacts of climate change. By the vulnerability classification of Belgian (Walloon) buildings, the research provides information on if, when and where adaptation measures are needed.
- The successful candidate will perform research on the development of a numerical models that combines building energy simulation models for the indoor environment (thermal comfort, air quality, energy consumption); building envelope heat-air-moisture transfer models for the building envelope (hygrothermal behaviour, durability); and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) for either the outdoor or the indoor environment (outdoor and indoor air flow, etc.).
- You are going to develop innovative adaptation measures and modeling methods to improve indoor environmental conditions and energy performance of existing buildings and to estimate the future effect of climate change.
Candidate's duties will include:
- Actively participate in sub-task A: impact assessment (in which you will help develop a method) and sub-task C: field studies (in which you will carry out and process measurements and simulations).
- Creation, execution and interpretation of dynamic building energy simulations (BES) .
- Designing, carrying out and analyzing the monitoring campaign of the operation, energy consumption of energy-efficient cooling strategies and the realized indoor climate in case study buildings.
- Publication of research results in English.
- Presentation of research results at international conferences.
- Defending a doctoral thesis under the supervision of the supervisors
- Educational support, among other things, in the form of supervising master's theses and exercises.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applicants for doctoral position must have completed a master degree in a field closely related to building engineering, architectural engineering, computer sciences, engineering. Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are required. French literacy is an asset. CFD knowledge is an asset (Fluent Ansys). Preference will be given to candidates with a strong interest and some level of proficiency in computer programming.
Candidates will be fully funded (tax-free monthly allowance, approx. 2,100 € at the doctoral level) for up to 3 years.
Living costs for Liège
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.