The department hosts or plays key roles in several international, national, and university-wide centers.
The curriculum provides depth and breadth of knowledge in the theories and research methods of geography.
The mission of the Geography program from Texas State University is to offer students educational experiences of the highest quality and to conduct meaningful and vital research. The department is committed to outstanding teaching and scholarly activities within the framework of academic freedom and the diversity of ideas and is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and to public service. The department stresses the theoretical and applied realms of geography in all of its curriculum, leads the discipline with innovative applied work, and actively seeks to recruit top students nationally and internationally.
Geography doctoral students are successful scholars who actively participate in professional conferences, meetings, and workshops, and publish in top-tier journals in the field. Alumni of Texas State geography Ph.D. programs are in tenured and tenure-track academic positions, pursue careers in the private or public sectors, or work in research centers in the United States and internationally.
- The Ph.D. program in geography is designed to provide depth and breadth of knowledge in the field’s theoretical foundations and research methods.
- Students complete 31 credit hours of graduate course work, including core, skills, and elective courses, and 15 credit hours of dissertation research and writing.
- Graduate courses are available at the intermediate and advanced levels in a broad range of human and physical geography topics and in environmental geography. Faculty advisors work individually with each student to develop a tailored course plan that meets the student’s educational and career goals.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeography Geology Natural Sciences View 23 other PhDs in Geography in United States
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree in geography or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.5 GPA in all completed graduate course work
- completion of a master's thesis or demonstrated evidence of scholarly research and writing
- official GRE (general test only) required with competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections
- statement of purpose explaining your reasons for pursuing doctoral study and your academic professional interests and goals
- three letters of recommendation demonstrating adequate subject preparation in content and quality as reflected in your transcripts
International35190 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
National35190 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
In-State16422 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 357 USD per credit
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.