Students develop a strong background in mathematics and mathematics education and engage in mathematics education research.
The doctoral program’s strength lies in the depth and breadth of the mathematics core courses that complement core courses in mathematics education. The mission is to develop graduates who can contribute to research as future leaders in mathematics education, with a vision of enhancing our programs nationally for research and innovation in mathematics education.
The goals are:
- to develop a well-balanced foundation in mathematics content
- to link mathematics content to pedagogy that addresses the educational needs throughout the P-20 continuum
- to contribute to advancing knowledge in mathematics education through original research
- to produce high-quality mathematics teachers at all levels
Graduates of the Mathematics Education program from Texas State University are well prepared for positions such as:
- faculty members of colleges and universities
- decision-makers in state or local education agencies
- researchers in think tanks, corporations, or nonprofit agencies
- high-ranking members of foundations or organizations
- History of Mathematics
- Current Research in Math Education
- Curriculum Design & Analysis
- Instructional Techniques & Assessment
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics View 56 other PhDs in Mathematics in United States
- baccalaureate degree or higher (or the equivalent thereof) in mathematics, mathematics education, or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- interview with faculty
- statement of purpose (500 words) describing your background and professional goals, including your rationale for pursuing a doctoral degree in mathematics education and your teaching philosophy
- three letters of recommendation addressing your professional and academic background as well as research and teaching potential
- two years of teaching experience. Read additional information below.
International59670 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
National59670 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 765 USD per credit
In-State27846 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 357 USD per credit
Living costs for San Marcos
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.