As an MPhil or PhD student in this Environmental Design and Engineering programme from University College London (UCL), you will engage with complex real-world design, engineering and policy projects and issues.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with a wide range of academic disciplines and professional partners and will conduct research that has the potential to command an audience and an influence far beyond UCL, London and the UK.
UCL IEDE is located within The Bartlett, the UK’s largest multidisciplinary faculty of the built environment, in one of the world’s top universities. We are based in central London, close to world-leading architectural, engineering and creative practices, many of whom we work with closely. Bartlett hosts students from over 40 nations, who are among the most sought-after in the world for their drive, creativity and skills, knowledge and academic rigour.
A PhD indicates a highly qualified researcher, capable of independent analytical thought. It is a highly regarded qualification for those wishing to attain senior management positions in industry, consultancies and public sector organisations and is essential for those interested in pursuing careers in academia. Our alumni have gone on to careers in academic teaching and research as well as consultancies, industry, government and policy organisations.
IEDE aims to train highly employable graduates who are equipped with the required analytical capability, research knowledge, management skills, and professional values to become leaders and entrepreneurs in their chosen field. Leadership, communication, teamwork, language and business skills are refined in the high-quality multidisciplinary research environment through our taught programmes, workshops, internal and external seminars.
Programme StructureResearch areas:
- Building Performance and Processes
- Energy Use in Buildings
- Building Stock Modelling
- Healthy Buildings
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Performance
- Light and Lighting
- Facility Management
- Outdoor Environment
- Systems Thinking
- Workplace Innovation
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction Industrial Design View 9 other PhDs in Environmental Engineering in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class UK Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a relevant subject, is essential.
- Exceptionally: where applicants have other suitable research or professional experience, they may be admitted without a Master's degree; or where applicants have a lower second-class UK Honours Bachelor's degree (2:2) (or equivalent) they must possess a relevant Master's degree to be admitted.
- We expect any successful application to include a sufficiently strong and convincing proposal, and those holding a Master's degree are typically well prepared to provide one. Relevant work experience is highly desirable.
International23350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5690 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5690 GBP per year during 36 months.
- UK: £2,845/year
- Overseas: £11,860/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.