Students develop thorough understanding of the field, expertise in its theories, skills needed to conduct effective research, and experience teaching in a university setting. They also acquire a specialty from among those recognized in scholarly societies and reflected in current research emphases among department faculty.
A signature feature of Communication program at the University of Illinois at Chicago is their flexibility. Students pursue individual and professional aims with guidance from an advisor, designing a course of study to reach their own educational goals. Because the department strongly encourages interdisciplinary work, students may study with scholars in allied disciplines.
- Operationalizing Communication Research
- Communication, Technology, and Society Proseminar
- New Media of Communication
- Qualitative Methods in Communication
- Dissertation Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
96 semester hours from the baccalaureate degree; 64 hours from the master’s degree.
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 22 other PhDs in Communication Sciences in United States
- Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Complete transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted.
- A master’s degree in communication or a related field is required. Applicants who have earned (or are completing) a bachelor’s degree and plan to pursue doctoral work should apply to the MA program.
- Tests Required GRE General.
- Resume Required; 1–2 pages.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required, preferably from professors.
- Personal Statement Required; 600 words.
- Writing Sample Required; MA thesis or similar sustained writing.
International7227 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7227 USD per year during 24 months.
7,227 - 17,714 USD
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.