This degree is particularly valuable for students wishing to pursue a career in research or academia.
Candidates are required to submit a dissertation of approximately 100,000 words. As part of this course, students must also complete the subject Higher Degree Research Seminar.
The candidate is required to undertake all assessments as part of the Faculty's Doctoral Framework three-stage program. In the first stage candidates must complete a formal candidature assessment, and in the second stage a progress confirmation assessment, to ensure their progress is consistent with completion of the research program in the prescribed time and demonstrates potential to complete the work to standard. Doctoral candidates are required to make an oral presentation of their dissertation six months prior to submission of their dissertation for examination.
Career options include positions in universities undertaking research, making contributions to public policy, or other academic work, including teaching, interest groups and legal publishing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Course completion requirements:
- PhD Thesis: Law
- Higher Degree Research Seminar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInternational Law Public Law Legal Studies View 4 other Masters in International Law in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised master's by research or bachelor's degree with first or second class honours (division 1), or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate research studies.
- Support for the project, availability of supervision, availability of places, evidence of research capacity in a relevant discipline and the applicant's overall abilities and experience are all taken into account.
- English proficiency requirement is: Academic IELTS: 7.0 overall with a writing score of 7.0; or TOEFL: paper based: 584-609 overall with TWE of 5.0, internet based: 94-101 overall with a writing score of 27; or AE6: Pass; or PTE: 65-72; or CAE: 185-190.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34390 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17195 AUD per semester during 48 months.
- Tuition fees for international students range from A$19,840 to A$34,080 per year.
- For this course, the cost per session is $17195.
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- CSC UTS PhD scholarship
- International Research Scholarship
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP)
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS President's Scholarship
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.