The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Science from University of Technology Sydney is awarded to candidates who, through original investigation, make a distinct and significant contribution to knowledge in their field of specialisation.
The PhD provides an opportunity for graduates to acquire high-level research skills and substantially deepen their knowledge in an area of science. Students work under the guidance of a supervisor who is a full-time academic staff member of the faculty. Students may be required to take a prescribed subject in research methodology or any other subject deemed necessary by their principal supervisor.
Students acquire research skills and deepen knowledge in their chosen area of science or mathematics.
Graduates can find careers in academia, as a researcher, research fellow, research associate and an expert in their chosen area of research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Candidates are required to complete a thesis, under the supervision of appropriate members of academic staff. A formal course of study or other work may also be prescribed.
- Candidates are required to submit, in consultation with their supervisor(s), a progress report at the end of each session, and to complete a doctoral assessment and seminar.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMathematics Biology Natural Sciences View 4 other PhDs in Mathematics in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised master's by research or bachelor's degree with first or second class honours (division 1), or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate research studies.
- Selection criteria for admission also include the quality of the research project proposal, the faculty's ability to offer appropriate supervision in the applicant's chosen field and, where necessary, demonstration of necessary technical skills.
- English proficiency requirement is: Academic IELTS: 6.5 overall with a writing score of 6.0; or TOEFL: paper based: 550-583 overall with TWE of 4.5, internet based: 79-93 overall with a writing score of 21; or AE5: Pass; or PTE: 58-64; or CAE: 176-184.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International43580 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21790 AUD per semester during 48 months.
- For this course, the cost per session is $21,790.
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- CSC UTS PhD scholarship
- International Research Scholarship
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP)
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS President's Scholarship
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.