This Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health from University of Technology Sydney assists students to complete original research that contributes to knowledge in their field within an international context. A student may construct their thesis by way of a series of related prospective publications during the course of their candidacy. Research at UTS takes place in a dynamic and outcomes-oriented environment. The university attracts students who want to develop their knowledge and expertise within a professional and stimulating framework. When students enrol, they become part of a lively and vigorous research culture, working closely with academic staff and health industry partners.
This degree prepares nurses, midwives and public health and health service professionals for leadership positions in teaching, management and research. Opportunities are not limited to Australia and there is the possibility of developing a career on an international level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students undertake a research project that may be in a professional or clinical area of the student's choice, or may be of a theoretical nature, addressing gaps in knowledge related to policy or practice.
- Students choose from a variety of research methodologies with the research approach being determined by the nature of the research undertaken. The research culminates in the production of a thesis for examination.
- Students are required to undertake a candidature assessment at the end of the first two sessions for full-time students, and at the end of the first three sessions for part-time students. Students work closely with a principal supervisor and a supervisory panel and are required to report on their progress each session.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
- 96 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 15 other PhDs in Health Sciences in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Technology Sydney and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised master's by research or bachelor's degree with first or second class honours (division 1), or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate research studies.
- Applicants are also required to submit a research proposal and have the agreement of a suitable supervisor at the time of application.
- English proficiency requirement is: Academic IELTS: 7.0 overall with a writing score of 7.0; or TOEFL: paper based: 584-609 overall with TWE of 5.0, internet based: 94-101 overall with a writing score of 27; or AE6: Pass; or PTE: 65-72; or CAE: 185-190.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International38340 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19170 AUD per semester during 48 months.
- For this course, the cost per session is $19,170.
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- CSC UTS PhD scholarship
- International Research Scholarship
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP)
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS President's Scholarship
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.